Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Well...Here's what I have to say...

Well, let's start this post by saying, I am glad you are reading this!
I feel pretty darn lucky to be living this life o' mine.  In fact, I don't know why I am so fortunate.  Maybe that is what got me to this point...Feeling blessed.
All my life I have had a passion to 'give back' to others and constantly live my life 'paying it forward'.   I really don't know what fuels all of this inside me but I just loving giving to others and putting a smile on someone's face, in any way that I can.
Surrogacy has always interested me and last year I decided to start to take the next steps in making this dream, a reality.
I filled out a few applications and was immediately turned down because of my twins' premature birth.  My twins were identical & contrary to popular belief, identical twins are completely spontaneous and only happens when one embryo splits into two embryos.  My twin pregnancy also suffered from an extremely rare condition called Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, which can only occur in identical twin pregnancies and of that #, only 10-15%.  So, very very rare.  So, I was devastated to start receiving letters of denial.  Because in reality, this really can't happen again.  Well, it could... but no more likely of it happening to me than any other surrogate.

So, I started talking to friends and family about my desire to be a surrogate and that is when I learned of an agency in Wisconsin.  I had heard that this particular agency was very open to all kinds of past pregnancy 'complications' because this agency understood that this is a gestational surrogacy(meaning it will not be my egg.. I will just be the carrier).  So, the genetics have nothing to do with me (or Steven), therefor, nothing to do with my past pregnancy history.
As long as I am healthy, emotionally & physically, and I meet all the other requirements, I could be accepted.
So, I was pretty excited to hear about this agency and I immediately went to work on filling out the lengthy application, submitted photos of me & my family, sent my insurance documents, etc, etc, etc.  I waited patiently for a reply, trying not to get my hopes up, in case it was another let down.
I was so thrilled to hear back with "Your application is lovely, we would love to meet you and your husband to go thru the next steps."  It was music to my ears!  Could this be happening?  I am GOOD enough?  My body is GOOd enough?  Oh, I hope so.
So, as of right now, we wait.  The attorney's are looking over all of the insurance documents to be sure it will be covered.  If that is the in the clear, then we are off to Wisconsin to meet with the agency.  I am pretty giddy at this point, to get started.  I just can't wait to help bring a child into this world for a loving couple.  Stay tuned for my rollercoaster ride!---  I just realized I keep saying "Me, My and I"... I need to start saying "Us and We" because this is just as much Steven's journey as it is mine.  Ok, maybe not THAT much credit for Steven... but, he still has to put up with me thru all of this.  But, after 6 years together, he knows how to 'put up' with me pretty well, by now.  :)

Also, I should add a disclaimer to this :)  I know surrogacy is NOT for everyone.  Just because you wouldn't do it, your mom doesn't believe in it or you think it's 'weird', doesn't mean it is wrong.  I have prepared myself for the negative-nellies but this will be a learning experience for me too, so I would love for support from my family & friends.
I closed this post and then seconds later this quote popped up.  I felt the need to add it after what I just wrote...  "It is not for you to judge the journey of another's Soul. It is for you to decide who You are, not who another has been, or has failed to be"

No comments:

Post a Comment