Monday, February 9, 2015

Let it be the ONE

It's been a pretty eventful week for us and the IPs (intended parents, Chris & Kellie).

Last Wednesday Kellie had her egg retrieval.  They had really hoped they would get at least 20 eggs but weren't sure if that would be possible since Kellie will only have 1 ovary to work with since her other one has a large cyst on it.  When Kellie was in recovery, Chris posted a photo of her and said they were able to get 21 eggs!  How amazing!

 I know when Kellie woke up to that great news, she was ecstatic!  The next morning the clinic called to let them know that of the 21 eggs that were retrieved, 15 of those eggs were matured and of those 15, 10 were fertilized.  Now, came the 5 day wait while they watch the embryos & see which ones make it thru that time.  The clinic told Kellie and Chris to expect half of the embryos to make it thru the 'blastocyst'.
During that wait, Kellie became very uncomfortable, rapidly gained weight, and had a lot of pain in her abdomen.  The clinic told her that she was most likely experiencing what is called Ovarian Hyper-stimulation.  She was instructed to rest, eat as much salt & protein as possible and drink Gatorade.  It can be very serious so she had to pay close attention to her symptoms and if she didn't get better, she would need to be seen.  Luckily the next day she had some relief and has started feeling much better.  Whew!

Well, today was day 5 of the blastocyst and Kellie received the call and unfortunately it wasn't what she was planning to hear.  Only ONE embryo made it thru and was able to be frozen for the transfer.  Kellie texted me with the news and I knew she was pretty upset.  When I read the message, I was immediately a little shocked by it.  I was just surprised that out of 21 eggs, it can be taken down to just 1 embryo that quickly.  Crazy how the fertility world works.  But, immediately the 'positive Patty' side of myself surfaced and I called Kellie to let her know to keep her chin up.  We only need ONE.  And I know Kellie was over-the-moon that she got 21 eggs last week and she had even made a comment that the extra 1 was going to be 'the one'.  She was just sure that she got an extra egg because it was meant to be her child.  And, that's how I feel about this!  I know this isn't ideal and it certainly isn't what we had thought out to be the plan, but maybe that's just it... maybe this IS the plan.
So, there is still a slim chance that tomorrow could bring good news.  There is 3 embryos that are sitting overnight and have a chance at being able to be frozen tomorrow.  The clinic is going to call Kellie & Chris tomorrow to let them know. 
So, here I am... asking for all of our incredible prayer warriors and positive Patty's out there to send out some prayers and energy for us!  I know that through-out this journey we have already had a few bumps in the road, but so far, each of those things has worked out how it was meant to!  So, I reminded Kellie of that today.  She loves to have a Plan B, & C & D ;) so it's just not her style to let this play out without worrying about the 'what-ifs' , but I am the exact opposite and not a worrier at all.  I am confident this is going to work out how it is supposed to.  I don't think that we have a reason to worry yet.  They have a perfectly perfect embryo waiting to be thawed and implanted in 22 days!
Regardless of to-worry or not to-worry, we would just LOVE the positive thoughts coming our way.  A lot is on the line for everyone and we want this to go smoothly.  Every time I have asked for some prayers, you guys have pulled thru and made miracles happen!  So, let's see what you've got!  :)

Also, I started my Delestrogen injections tonight and I am still on my Lupron injections (half the dose) plus aspirin and prenatal vitamin :)  I am feeling great!  A little tired and moodier than usual... but, no complaints!

Thanks for reading and supporting. Transfer day is just 3 weeks away... March 4!

6 comments:

  1. I am praying for all involved. God has a perfect plan that will be carried out. Love and blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspirational. I have only 1 ovary, I lost my uterus & a ovary w/ the fallopian tube when I was only 26. I only have just one working ovary & believe me it has been a struggle. I have never had children & I know that pain & want more than most. I will keep you all in my prayers & I hope everything goes as planned after all, all you really need is one. I hope with all my heart you get your blessing!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers for you and Kelli and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete