Wednesday, March 18, 2015

It worked! I'm pregnant!



Wow, SO much to update on!  It's crazy how a week sneaks by me anymore. 

And, its been a pretty eventful, exciting week, to say the very least!  So last Monday (just 5 days after the transfer), despite many friends telling me not to, I decided to take an at home test.  Kellie and I had made this decision ahead of time that we would wait until Monday and we knew going in that the chances were still slim that it would show a positive.  So, we were mentally prepared for that going in.  Well, I took the test and it should a Big Fat Negative result.  i was okay with it because I felt in my heart that it was a positive that just wasn't showing quite yet.   I texted Kellie with the result and her response was to be expected, "Okay, we knew this was likely to happen :)"  I knew with her response that she felt the same way I did but with some disappointment in her text too.  Oh how I would have LOVED a positive to show up. 
A few hours later that day I thought… maybe I should try again?  Is that crazy?  But, my thinking was this.  Yes, it was technically 5 days after the transfer however Portland is 2 hours behind us AND we lost an hour with daylight savings time the day before so when I took the test at 7am, it was really more like 4.5 days after the transfer.  Yes, okay, I admit I am crazy. 
I got home around 3pm and decided to take another test.  And guess what?!  A {super} faint line appeared!!!!!!  I did everything in my power to try to get a good photo to send to Kellie and Chris so they could see the faint line.  After my 3rd photo to them & finally showing her the negative next to the positive one, Kellie says "Okay, I think I see it!!" Chris told Kellie he could see it right away!  Just for kicks, here is the photo :) 
Yes, you really have to squint to see it.. but I promise that in person it was definitely there!!!
The next morning I thought I might as well try again to get confirmation that I wasn't seeing an imaginary line.  I still had several pink line tests in the cabinet but I also had a few digital ones.  I thought 'maybe I should try a digital?'  But almost talked myself out of it because I know those sometimes aren't as sensitive and since the line was so faint, I would probably see a big fat 'not pregnant.'  But I thought I would just do both and see what happened.  Well, this baby showed a big ole'  PREGNANT across the digital test within seconds!!!!  I was screaming and jumping up and down and texting Kellie photos!  I could not WAIT for her response!!  I said "I don't think it gets ANY clearer than this!!" 
She was soooooo stoked to see that and what wonderful peace of mind for her and Chris… and okay, me too!!  We still had several days before the beta blood test results so anything to make those days go quicker was awesome. 

And, let's be honest, Kellie and I figured that I had the tests in the cabinet so why not use them.  Okay okay.. I admitted already that I am crazy!  haha.  But it was fun seeing the pink line start to get darker each day. 

You've never seen so many pregnancy tests on a blog post before, have ya?  Well, now you've officially seen it all!  So glad I could help you out with that item on your bucket list.  haha. 

Then, Friday came!  The day we've been waiting and waiting for!  We thought 9 days seemed like it would be soooo early for blood test but those 9 days seemed more like weeks!  I went in at 8am and they said the results would take about 2 hours to get to the clinic in Portland.  We waited.  The number we were looking for was at least 50.  This is the HCG and at this point at least a 50 would show a definite pregnancy.  They called me with the results and I could immediately tell in the nurses voice that it was good news, it was an 83!!!!!!!!  Wahoooo!!!  Kellie and I were SO excited that our at home tests hadn't let us down! 
Then the moment we've all been waiting for… the announcement!!  I took this photo for Kellie after another announcement she had seen and it turned out SO cute (if I do say so myself). 

I could not believe the response we got from sharing the big news.  It was so amazing to see how many people have been following along and praying for us. 

Monday I went back to the lab to have another beta to see that the HCG has at least doubled.  So, we were looking for at least 160+.  The nurse called and I was 288!!!!  Go, Baby Kaufman!  Total over achiever! 

Tomorrow I will have 1 more beta blood draw and again we will want that 288 to at least double.  I have absolutely no doubts that it will! 

How am I feeling?  I have been getting that question a lot.  When people ask me that I kind of have to remember why they ask.  Oh yah, some people feel icky pregnant!  Well, so far I feel great!  I have had a few small spells of nausea but its very short lived.  And in the afternoons I get a little tired but honestly its stuff that I probably wouldn't even think twice about if I wasn't pregnant! 
The meds are going great.  I am currently do 1 ml of progesterone in oil injections at night and those haven't been bad at all.  When I was in Portland the nurse told me that she saw my injection sites and said I needed to move up a little bit (she said, go above your butt crack).  OH!  That makes such a difference!!!!  I have had a little tenderness but the lumps are no more and much easier than when I was injecting them lower and more on my butt!  I am doing estrodial injections 2xs a week on Mondays and Fridays.  Then, just recently they had me start on suppositories 3xs a day.  Lets just say I would rather the larger injection of progesterone than the icky suppositories.  But, that's okay.  It will be temporary.  Then I am also continuing 1 baby aspirin per day and of course my prenatal vitamins!  Just for fun, here is my current sharps container with my past syringes!

  And, I'm not near done yet!  There is no way to know how long I will be on the estrogen and progesterone injections.  They check my levels regularly (just checked them this week) and eventually my body will understand that I am pregnant and will make this naturally like it would with a natural pregnancy.  But, with IVF, the baby is just put into your uterus so you body isn't naturally producing these hormones because it doesn't know to!  So both of these help support the pregnancy.  They are SO vital to the baby staying attached and strong.   Can NOT miss a dose.  It's become second nature to me. 

Tomorrow I have my next beta results and I know they will be great.  Then, we get to find out whats next!  I am anxious to hear when the 1st ultrasound will be. 

As always, thank you for the positive energy, thoughts and prayers.  I KNOW its because we have this army of support behind us that things are moving along so smoothly.  We cannot than you enough for all this amazing support. 
Now, its time to GROW BABY GROW!  Due date is November 20!

9 comments:

  1. Makenzie you are an amazing person. Doing what you are doing for that family is beautiful. You are a Huge inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. If I could give you a big hug right now I would. God Bless hun<3
    -Haley Adams
    From PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so incredibly exciting! God is So good! Praying for a healthy baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Congrats# I am right behind you. I'm a first time surrogate. Our transfer date was 3/16. I also plan on taking oodles of home pregnancy tests! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I found your post. I am a first time surrogate as well. My transfer date was 3/26 and I did home pregnancy test 3 days, 4 days and 5 days past transfer and received very faint lines. I go in for my beta on 4/6 so I will know for sure then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool story to read. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have always been curious to hear what the journey is like from the surrogates standpoint. They have made a few movies and there are always comedy sketches on tv, but there is never any real person's story. I can not wait to read more.

    Cynthia @ Tomorrow's Parents International

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find an intact segment of tube, but not the fimbriated end. I also find the ovary, which is intact. ectopic pregnancy symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,
    I noticed your Article and read it. I just loved it.
    I have one that just got published, you can go through the topic. You can check it out here: fertility center in hyderabad.
    If you like it feel free and share it.
    Cheers,
    Varshini.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    I noticed your Article. I just loved it.
    Ferty9 Hospital & Research Center [FHRC] is a hospital set up by highly experienced doctors & gynecologists with more than 25 years of experience to serve those with infertility issues, nationally and globally. It is a best fertility clinic in hyderabad india which is recommended by many couples who have successfully attained parenthood.
    Cheers,
    Preethi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    I noticed your Article. I just loved it.
    Ferty9 Hospital & Research Center [FHRC] is a hospital set up by highly experienced doctors & gynecologists with more than 25 years of experience to serve those with infertility issues, nationally and globally. It is a male infertility centers in hyderabad which is recommended by many couples who have successfully attained parenthood.
    Cheers,
    Sushanth

    ReplyDelete