Sunday, March 8, 2015

The transfer is over... now what?

Tuesday I flew to Portland for the transfer.  After much travel delays I finally arrived in the early evening and the Kaufman's all picked me up.  We went to a nice dinner and got to catch up and then headed to their home.  I was greeted with a gift bag full of goodies for bedrest; warm socks, some favorite snacks, magazines & even the most gorgeous necklace in a little blue box.

 It was completely unnecessary but so appreciated.  Kellie said she has this necklace too and she just loves it and couldn't help but feel like the 3 circles symbolized this exciting journey, in a few different ways.  I LOVE IT.  My husband had also mailed a large box full of bedrest items ; more socks, movies, my favorite kind of blanket, & a candle.  So extremely sweet of him.

  Wednesday last week was the BIG day!  Kellie and I spent the morning with a warm tea, light breakfast and then headed near the clinic to have lunch together.  We had eaten at this place before the mock cycle so a little superstition played a part in this restaurant choice, because we felt like we had good news with that appointment, so why wouldn't we get good news for this one? :) 
We got to the clinic at 12:40 for my 12:45 arrival time.  Kellie and I were so nervous in the waiting room.  But, this selfie helped ease our nerves ;)

I was called back right on time and headed back to the prep room.  Got my sexy hospital gown on and they scanned my bladder to be sure it was nice and full.  They can get a better picture when its full so they had me drink a few more glasses of water.  Kylee who is the surrogate coordinator at the clinic came to see me so I finally got to meet her!!  It was so exciting since I have been working with her for months but hadn't officially met in person.  Definitely had to get a photo with her!

Chris joined us at this point and I think that's when it got really real!  All 3 of us in this hospital room just waiting to go back.  They gave me a Valium to help me be able to really relax.  They only allowed 1 person into the procedure room with me, so Kellie got all gowned up.  She was under strict instructions not to make me laugh or crack any jokes because that could cause me to move and mess up the transfer.  And, In case your wondering, nope, she can't look ugly even in an astronaut space suit. 
So, they took me back into the room to get me all ready for the transfer.  A few minutes later Kellie entered the room.  There was a tv screen really high up on the ceiling and as I was looking at it all of a sudden this beautiful photo popped up. 
BABY Kaufman!!!!   Or, the start of!  :)  In that moment, my eyes got teary.  That little cell can potentially be a human life in just a few months.  And I am going to help that become reality.  Talk about crazy.  The doctor had me all prepared and then said "Okay, you are doing wonderful being still.  The embryologist is about to come in the room with the embryo so I need you to continue to not move at all." WHOA.  Talk about pressure!  When someone specifically tells you not to do something, it really messes with your head!  I felt like its never been so hard in my life not to make a move. I don't think I even took a breath.  The embryologist walked into the room with a long catheter and 'dropped' it right into whatever the doctor had prepared already (another catheter?)  Trust me, I wish I could have had a mirror to see this part since it is SO interesting!
About 30 seconds later the doctor said the embryo was placed and everything went as perfect as possible!!  ahhhhhh!!!  So exciting.  They took me back into the prep room where Chris was waiting for Kellie and I and they had me lay completely flat for about an hour.  Then, they wheeled me out to the car.  Here is a photo of Kellie and I (in my wheel chair) just as we were leaving!  I PROMISE Chris missed these photo ops by just a few minutes (he was in charge of child care for their girls so he was coming and going as he could!)
Next up... bedrest!  I had in my head that bedrest was going to be just sitting on the couch taking it easy for 2 days.  I had no idea it was going to be pretty strict!  They informed me that I am ONLY to get up to go to the bathroom and I cannot sit up more than 45 degrees.  They even suggested to prepare my injections while in bed and then administer them when I go to the bathroom so I don't need to be up anymore than possible.  I know that all clinics have different suggestions on bedrest vs. no bedrest but ORM (Oregon Reproductive Medicine) said they have a very high success rate so they continue doing the bedrest.  The embryo implants itself within 12-24 hours after the transfer so they feel its important to be on bedrest for best chances of implantation. Bedrest was fun!  Kellie was such a trooper and stayed with me the whole time.  Well, maybe I should say Chris was the trooper!  haha.  He waited on us hand and foot for the entire 36 hours.  At one point we had all 5 of us plus 2 dogs on their bed, haha!! We HAD to take a photo (minus 1 dog) 
So, on Friday I was officially FREE!  It felt really good to be able to get up and shower and move around a little bit!  We did lunch, some shopping and then ended the evening with a great dinner with friends and some games.  Here is a photo of Kenley and I at dinner.  She really became my 'best buddy' (as she says) during the 4 days I was there.

Saying goodbye was really tough!  It's so weird to think that I won't see them for several months!  We had such a great few days together.
Okay, the part you REALLY want to KNOW.  So.... what's next?  WHEN do we find out?  Well, we have a bloodtest on Friday!  Yes, THIS Friday already!  Crazy right?  I know!  So, on Friday we are praying that the beta number on the bloodtest will be at least 50.  If it's 50 or more, that's very promising positive pregnancy.  On Monday they will have me re-test to see if that number has at least doubled.  If so, then we are on our way to #BabyKaufman being here in 9 months!
We need the prayers!!  This wait is tough on all of us.  When I first heard that I would test 9 days after the transfer, I remember saying "Wow, that's so fast, that's awesome!"  But now, it seems like eternity!!!  I cannot wait to know if this baby is attached & thriving in my belly! 

Sorry for the long update, I had so much to say after such a wonderful week.  THANK YOU to the Kaufman's for taking such great care of me. 

1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome person you are Kenzi. To do this for our totally awesome friends. You are so loving and kind and may God Bless you and your family for such a wonderful journey to be able to carry and give this wonderful Kaufman family a gift of love through God with prayer's going up for a successful pregnancy and a gift of life. Love to you Kenzi! Cynthia Daly

    ReplyDelete